Directly after the city was incorporated in December 1930, a post office named Hines was established in January 1931, to serve the Edward Hines Lumber Company mill and surrounding community. Homes for mill workers were built in the new city south of Burns, with a downtown oval design and parks for recreation designed by Mrs. Loretta O’Dowd Hines, Edward’s wife. She stipulated that the houses should be constructed with slight differences, so the city would differ from the monotonous look of most mill towns.
According to the 2010 US Census, there are 1,565 residents in this small town in the high desert of southeastern Oregon. The city has a total area of 2.4 square miles at 4,155 feet in elevation and is relatively in the center of Harney County, Oregon’s largest county. Hines borders the county seat, Burns, and works cooperatively with city, county, state and Federal agencies in many aspects.
The City of Hines owns the acreage that contains a nine-hole golf course, operated privately as the Valley Golf Club. Hines Middle School is located just up the street from City Hall and the Hines City Park is a favorite stop for travelers and locals. Hines maintains 7.5 acres in parks and public areas.
A mayor and six council members serve without compensation for overseeing the operations of the city. Hines has a Police Department and a volunteer fire department that works cooperatively with Burns. The city offers a variety of businesses, churches and services.
Visitors to the area enjoy the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, Steens Mountain, Alvord Desert, Malheur and Ochoco National Forests, and Malheur Cave. Hunting, fishing, boating, camping, hiking and parasailing are just some of the activities in rural Harney County. The Harney County Historical Museum provides a history of both cities and the county. The annual fair and rodeo in September are complemented by ranch rodeos and team ropings throughout the summer.
Census July 1, 2010: 1,565 population
Elevation: 4,155 feet
Name origin: Edward Hines, of Edward Hines Lumber Co.
City area: 2.4 square miles (6.2 km²)